The Historical Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina was founded on November 13, 1945, and is one of the rare cultural institutions in the country which has managed to save and preserve the entirety of its material.
The museum was originally located in the National Library of the Sarajevo City Hall, until 1963 when it was relocated to a newly-constructed building where it remained until today, in Zmaja od Bosne 5 Street.
Museum changed its name several times throughout the history, and chronologically expanded the borders of its research and collections further into the past and present.
The museum contains collections of artworks, photographs, three-dimensional items and archive materials, as well as a library and documentation center.
Since the beginning of its activities, the Historical Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina has managed to establish a collection of approximately 400,000 museum items, documents, photographs and artworks of significance for the history and culture of the country.
Thematic structure of the museum encompasses the arrival of the Slavic people to the Balkan Peninsula, creation of the first medieval South Slavic countries, particularly the medieval Bosnian state, Bosnia under the Ottoman rule and the Austro-Hungarian Monarchy, the period of the former Yugoslavia, and Bosnia and Herzegovina from the 1990 until today.
The museum works on systematization of archive materials, continuously prepares theme exhibitions, and publishes expert, scientific and popular publications and catalogues. The museum also works on the education of youth and adults.
All collections of the museum are available to scientific, cultural and public workers and students from Bosnia and Herzegovina and the world.
The Historical Museum of Bosnia and Herzegovina is open every day of the week from 0900 to 1900 hrs.